Friday, February 4, 2011

What's Cooking?

 I love to read cookbooks.  Rob will tell you that I probably read them more than use them.  I seem to have a lot of them but there are a few that are my favorites. 

If you have ever been invited to a gathering of my family (especially the Groeneveld side) then you will know how much we enjoy our food and how many great cooks we have in the family.  The one who got us all started on down home comfort food cooking would be my Grandma Groeneveld.  "Daisy" was known to always be cooking a meal or baking.  I probably remember her the most for standing at the kitchen sink peeling potatoes.  A few years ago My Aunt Betty published her own cookbook - "Hand Me Down Recipes - For the Joy of Cooking" 


Now the only way to get one of these is to be family.  It's almost worth it to marry into our crazy family to get the cookbook.  Two of my favorite's are the Cinnamon Buns and the Corn Chowder. 

Aunt Betty turned 75 this week.  She is a great lady with so many talents from cooking, sewing, our annual family calendar and recording the family history.  Not sure what we would do without her.

There are other family members that have their specialty recipe's too.  Uncle Jack is known for his ribs and wings on Christmas Eve.  He has now extended that to anything that you can deep fry.  Pickles and onion rings, were added this year. 
Uncle Jack on Christmas Eve 2010
Kim's Shrimp Jambalaya is out of this world and also part of the Christmas Eve menu.  And I never turn down Aunt Gaylene's chocolate fudge. 

Heather has taken her cupcakes and started a business with them.  You can find her at Original Jane's Cupcakes





My dad Chuck is always thinking of new marinades and sauces to whip up for the Steak Challenges he does for the Alberta Simmental Association and Beef demonstrations that he does for the Alberta Beef Producers.

2011 Steak Challenge Champions at Camrose Bull Congress
Rob's brother Murray is one of the best when it comes to serving up a Prime rib.  It was a great meal to have on Boxing Day this year along with the traditional ham.

As far as actual recipe books here are some that I use and love the most.:

The Alberta 4H Cookbooks
4-H Potlucks are the best


The Pioneer Women - A Christmas Gift in 2009
from Crystal - Great Chicken Fried Steak

Cooking for the Rushed Series
Sandi Richard



Mini Cookbooks from the
Beef Information Centre


Give me a heads up when you are in the area and I will find something special to serve.

No comments: